- The Examination Board determines the graduation date.
- The graduation date is the date you officially completed your program and received your diploma. This date is on your diploma. The graduation date is not the date of your graduation ceremony.
- The graduation date is based on the date of the last result obtained. Each month has one graduation date. With the exception of December, this is always the last working day of the month. Sundays and holidays are excepted.
- If you are allowed to postpone graduation, the examination board will set a postponement date. The deferral date becomes your new graduation date. This date is then also listed as your graduation date on the diploma.
The graduation date is important for your deregistration in studielink, the tuition fees, and the public transport card
- Each year, one graduation ceremony per program is organized
- When you are about to graduate you will receive an email with a link to a form where you can indicate if you want to come to the graduation ceremony. Everyone who graduates between September 2022 and August 2023 and indicates at the time of graduation that they would like to be present at the award ceremony of the respective programme will get an invitation. The graduation ceremony always takes place in the fall of the following academic year*.
- You will receive the invitation to the ceremony in mid-September via the email address you provided. The invitation will include the location, the exact start and end time of the ceremony, and the number of guests you can bring to the ceremony.
The date for the graduation ceremony in the fall of 2023 is not yet known. As soon as the date is known, it will be published here.
Unsubscribing from the graduation ceremony
Did you register for the ceremony, but are unexpectedly unable to attend? Then please cancel as soon as possible by sending a response to the invitation email.
- If you indicate that you will not be attending the graduation ceremony, you can pick up your diploma once a month between November and June, on a set day and time, at the Central Student Desk.*
- You will be notified as soon as your diploma is ready for you.
- You can only come by when you have received notice from us that your diploma is ready to be collected.
- Bring valid identification (driver's license, passport or ID card).
The pick-up moments will take place on:
Monday 23 January 2023 afternoon from 4 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Monday 20 February 2023 afternoon from 4 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Monday 27 March 2023 afternoon from 4 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Monday 24 April 2023 afternoon from 4 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Monday 22 May 2023 afternoon from 4 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Monday 26 June 2023 afternoon from 4 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Please note: You can only attend a pick-up moment if you have received an invitation for it.
*The organization of the ceremonies and pick-up moments is subject to the Covid-19 measures in place.
After your graduation has been processed and sent to DUO, your physical diploma will be made. The diploma and the supplement with the grade list are prepared carefully. Before you can receive these documents, they need to be signed by the examination board. This can take several weeks, especially during the summer period. Therefore, you can only receive your physical diploma from the end of September if you graduate in June, July or August.
If you have indicated that you want to attend the graduation ceremony, you will receive your physical diploma during the official ceremony.
If you have indicated that you do not wish to attend a graduation ceremony, you can collect your diploma during a specially organized pick-up moment.
For both the graduation ceremony and the pick-up event, you will receive a personal invitation. Please note: you can only participate in the ceremony or the pick-up moment if you have received an invitation!
If you graduate in the months of June till September, you will receive the invitation for the next pick-up moment after the graduation ceremony.
Do you need a proof of graduation for applying to another study programme or for a job application? You can download an extract of your diploma via DUO from the moment you have received a notification of graduation from the VU. This extract has the same value as the official diploma. If you don't have a DigiD, you can apply for a graduation statement here.
Proof of graduation
As soon as your results are processed, you can request a graduation statement via the Student Desk. Or download an electronic extract of your diploma at DUO diploma registry. An electronic extract has the same value as a certified copy of your diploma. An electronic diploma extract is free of charge and easy to download.
Graduation regulations summer 2023