Note that for diplomas obtained outside of the Netherlands an application fee of €100 applies.
Application fee payment options and possible exemptions
Applicants holding a non-Dutch pre-university diploma apply via the International Office. We check if your previous education meets a number of requirements.* If you do not yet meet the requirements but expect to do so in the future (such as obtaining your diploma), you can already apply. We will evaluate your application and inform you of our admission decision.
Requirements that apply:
1. A diploma equivalent to the Dutch pre-university VWO-diploma
See the Diploma Requirement List for examples of accepted diplomas per country.
Please note: this list is meant to give you an indication of admissibility; no rights can be derived from it.
2. Proof of sufficient proficiency in English
You can find all accepted tests and scores on our Language Requirements webpage. Although complete applications are preferred, you can begin your application before you have completed the test and then submit your passing score once you have been conditionally admitted.
3. Proof of sufficient proficiency in Mathematics
After you've applied for the programme and uploaded the required documents in your VU Dashboard, the International Office will determine whether your diploma is equivalent to the Dutch VWO-diploma and whether your mathematics level is sufficient.
These examples of diplomas demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the subject Mathematics:
- International Baccalaureate: All IB Mathematics subjects.
- British GCE A-Levels: A-levels or AS-level in Mathematics with a grade A, B or C.
- Germany: Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife.
- European Baccalaureate: Mathematics; written or oral examination, at least 3 hours during the Orientation Cycle.
- Scan of your passport or national ID card (ID for EEA students only) valid at the start date of the programme
- Bachelor Application File; please download the correct form here.
- Proof of English language proficiency (if already obtained): upload your proof of English language proficiency or English language test results.
VU English language requirements
The final application deadline for non-EU/EEA students is 1 April and for Dutch and EU students the final deadline is 1 May. Do you have a non-Dutch nationality? Then you may be eligible for housing via the International Office Accommodation Services. An early application is then strongly recommended.
Ready to apply?
Great! Click here for the application procedure.
By selecting Political Science in Studielink you can start you application – in your VU dashboard, the next application step, you can confirm your choice for the English-taught track Global Politics. If you have your Studielink set to Dutch you can find the programme under Politicologie.
*Not directly eligible for admission?
If your diploma is not considered to be at the right level and/or if your proficiency in mathematics is considered to be insufficient, you will be informed if it is possible to meet the requirements with an additional certificate.
You can obtain your certificates to resolve these deficiencies at various institutions.
When advised to sit an entrance exam, the following certificates are deemed equivalent to the required Dutch VWO Mathematics C level:
- Boswell-Bèta (English). Boswell-Bèta in Utrecht (the Netherlands) provides a VWO Mathematics C exam in May, July and August.
- Online Mathematics Placement Test. The Online Mathematics Placement Test-E (OMPT-E) is an online mathematics test that you can take from home by means of online proctoring.
A positive result for the mathematics examination (5,5/10 in the mathematics C exam or 60% in the OMPT-E online exam) is compulsory for admission to the programme. If your OMPT test result was obtained more than 1 year ago, you may be asked to re-take the test to prove your mathematics proficiency. When this applies to you, it will be communicated in your admission decision if retaking the test is needed.
To ensure that your application is processed in time in order to study and register for the exams we ask applicants to apply for their bachelor's programme of choice before:
Note that in addition to these tests all applicants will need to submit proof of sufficient proficiency in English. You can find all accepted tests and scores on our Language Requirements webpage.