To be admitted to the programme, you should:
Part of the PBH-programme consists of courses (30EC in total) that are offered by a health-related Master's programme from our Faculty of Science. This means that it is mandatory to be admitted to one of the health-related Master programmes at the Faculty of Science (*alternatively, students who have already finished a health-related Master programme can also apply to the programme).
We highly recommend you to check your choice of programme with the International Student Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) in order to see whether the health-related Master programme of your choice is a good fit for the Master in Philosophy, Bioethics and Health.
This means that you should take the following steps:
- check whether you satisfy the admission requirements of one of our health-related programmes
- apply for a health-related Master programme and receive admission
- apply for the programme in Philosophy, Bioethics and Health
- complete your enrolment for both Master programmes: 1. Philosophy, Bioethics and Health and 2. a health-related Master programme. If you are not admitted and enrolled to a health-related Master programme at VU Amsterdam, you will not be able to successfully finish and graduate from Philosophy, Bioethics and Health.
Please be aware that EU students pay the tuition fee once for both programmes. Non-EU students, however, have to pay two tuition fees as long as they are enrolled in two Master programmes. More information about the tuition fees.
English language requirements
You must always present official test results proving your proficiency in English. You can apply online without having the test results, but in case you haven’t taken a test yet we advise you to plan a test date as soon as possible. The qualification or test result must have been awarded no more than two years prior to the proposed date of enrolment. Below you will find the minimum English test scores for the English taught programmes at the Faculty of Humanities:
- TOEFL score 100 internet based with a minimum of 20-23 (in each of the subtests).
- IELTS score of 7.0 overall band score (with none of the separate section scores dropping below a minimum score of 6.5).
- Cambridge English: Cambridge Proficiency Exam with score A, B, or C; or Cambridge Advanced Exam with score A, B, or C.
Exemptions from providing the English test scores are applicable to students, who:
- have completed an English-taught secondary or higher education degree in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia; or
- have earned a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an English-taught programme accredited by NVAO in the Netherlands, or
- have earned a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an accredited English-taught programme in another member state of the European Union
The required evidence should, if possible, be included with the complete application. If either unsatisfactory or no evidence of English language proficiency has been provided with the application, admission will be conditional upon the provision of such evidence. This condition will be clearly indicated on the offer letter and must be fulfilled before enrolment at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
See the Admission and language requirements page for further information on the general requirements.