All applicants are asked for an English language test, unless you qualify for an exemption of this requirement as specified below. Although complete applications are preferred, you can begin your application before you have completed the test. In case you are conditionally admitted to the programme you will have until the below-mentioned deadlines to submit your English test results.
Standard English requirements
In general, the minimum English language proficiency requirements for admission to most (not all) Master's programme at VU Amsterdam are:
- IELTS (academic): 6.5 overall - Most programmes do not accept subscores dropping below 6.0.
Note: the IELTS Online Academic and the online IELTS Indicator tests are not accepted.
- TOEFL Internet-based test: 92.
Note: TOEFL Essentials and TOEFL iBT Home Edition are not accepted. MyBestScore is also not accepted.
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): A, B, C
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): A, B, C
If you have completed a Cambridge test in Advanced English, or Proficiency in English, you can share your results digitally through the Cambridge system. You can find more information on how to share your results with this step by step guide.
- VU-test English-language proficiency: TOEFL ITP: 580. This test is offered by the VU Taalloket and takes place at the University. The test costs EUR 100 and is only valid for admission to VU Amsterdam. The TOEFL ITP is not accepted for students who require a study visa/residence permit to study at VU Amsterdam. We do not accept the TOEFL ITP Digital test. Please note that the Faculty of Humanities and the Faculty of Religion and Theology also do not accept the TOEFL ITP test.
Master's programmes with higher language proficiency requirements.
Please click here for an overview of Master's programmes with higher language proficiency requirements.
Please do not wait until the last moment to book a test, as test centres can be full and it can take several weeks before you received your result. We recommend students to hand in their English Language test well before the final deadline.
Recommended deadline for submission:
- 1 May - for students who require a study visa/residence permit
- 1 August - for students with the EU/EEA nationality and other students who do not require a study visa/residence permit
Final deadline for submission:
- 1 June - for students who require a study visa/residence permit
- 31 August - for students with the EU/EEA nationality and other students who do not require a study visa/residence permit
Exceptions to the English Language Proficiency requirement are made if you have completed your Bachelor's or Master's degree in Canada (English-speaking provinces), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia or if you have completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree fully taught in English within the EU/EEA.
TOEFL and IELTS tests must have been completed no more than two years before 1 September of the year in which your course starts (or 1 February if your programme offers a February intake).
How to share your English test results
- For IELTS or TOEFL test results, please upload your results in your VU dashboard while applying.
- For verification of TOEFL tests please add our institution code before sending the report: 7947 and also upload your results in your VU dashboard.
- For an online verification of your Cambridge test result please share your results with us through the Candidate Results Online website and also upload your results in your VU dashboard.
In general, we do not need to receive the hard copy test results via postal mail if you share your results digitally.