Biomedical Sciences is a selective programme (Numerus Fixus). In addition to being selected for a spot in the programme, applicants holding a non-Dutch pre-university diploma must meet a number of requirements*. If you do not yet meet the requirements but expect to do so in the future (such as obtaining your diploma), you can already apply.
We will evaluate your application and inform you of our admission decision. All outstanding requirements need to be met in full by the time you enrol for the programme. Admission to the programme will remain conditional until your certified diploma copy is received and the conditions in your admission decision letter have been met.
Requirements that apply:
1. A diploma equivalent to the Dutch pre-university VWO-diploma
See the Diploma Requirement List for examples of accepted diplomas per country.
Please note: this list is meant to give you an indication of admissibility; no rights can be derived from it.
2. Proof of sufficient proficiency in English
You can find all accepted tests and scores on our Language Requirements webpage. Although complete applications are preferred, you can begin your application before you have completed the test and then submit your passing score once you have been conditionally admitted.
3. Proof of sufficient proficiency in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics
After you've applied for the programme and uploaded the required documents in your VU Dashboard, the International Office will determine whether your diploma is equivalent to the Dutch VWO-diploma and whether your Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Chemistry level is sufficient.
These examples of diplomas demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the 4 required subjects Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics:
- International Baccalaureate: Mathematics SL/HL, Applications & Interpretation HL, Analysis & Approaches SL/HL, Physics SL/HL, Chemistry SL/HL and Biology HL.
- British GCE A-Levels: A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, and Mathematics and an AS-level in Physics, or A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics and an AS-level in Mathematics. All subjects need to be completed with a grade A, B or C.
- Germany: Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife, including Physics and Chemistry as Grundkurs and Biology as Leistungsfach + Mathematics Grundkurs as Prüfungsfach or Mathematics erhöhtem Anforderungsniveau (eA)/Leistungsfach
- European Baccalaureate: Biology; written or oral examinations, at least 4 hours during the Orientation Cycle. Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics; written or oral examination, at least 3 hours during the Orientation Cycle.
For further examples of accepted proof you can check our Biomedical Sciences Diploma requirements list.
*Not directly eligible for admission?
If your diploma is not considered to be at the right level and/or if your proficiency in mathematics is considered to be insufficient, you will be informed if it is possible to meet the requirements with a additional certificates.
You can obtain your certificates to resolve these deficiencies at various institutions.
When advised to sit (an) entry exam(s), the following certificates are deemed equivalent to Dutch vwo Mathematics A, Physics, Chemistry and Biology:
Exams in the Netherlands
- Boswell-Bèta (English). Boswell-Bèta in Utrecht (the Netherlands) provides vwo Mathematics A and B, Physics, Biology and Chemistry courses in English with exams in December, May and July.
- CCVX (Dutch and English). CCVX offers vwo Mathematics A and B, Physics, Biology and Chemistry exams.
- Online Mathematics Placement Test. The Online Mathematics Placement Test-A (OMPT-A) is an online mathematics test that you can take from home by means of online proctoring.
A positive result for the examination (5,5/10 in the CCVX and Boswell-Bèta exam(s) or 65% in the OMPT-A online exam) is compulsory to eliminate a deficiency.
OMPT only: if your OMPT test result was obtained more than 1 year ago, you may be asked to re-take the test to prove your mathematics proficiency. When this applies to you, it will be communicated in your admission decision if retaking the test is needed.
To ensure that your application is processed in time in order to study and register for the exams we ask applicants to apply for their bachelor's programme of choice before:
Note that in addition to these tests all applicants will need to submit proof of sufficient proficiency in English. You can find all accepted tests and scores on our Language Requirements webpage.