The Environment and Resource Management programme is open to both Dutch and international students. The Faculty’s Admission Board will decide upon your admission after having evaluated your complete online application.
In order to gain admission to the Environment and Resource Management Master’s programme, you will need to have at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited research university including at least three full years of academic study amounting to a minimum of 180 ECTS or equivalent. We do not require a GRE or GMAT test score. A Bachelor degree obtained at an applied university or higher vocational education (HBO in Dutch) in most cases does not grant direct access to the programme (only exceptionally high ranking students stand a chance of admission).
Students from all disciplinary backgrounds will be considered, but the following subjects provide a particularly relevant basis for participating in the ERM programme: Environmental studies, Economics, Political Science, Social Science, Law, Natural Sciences.
Specific requirements for the Environment and Resource Management Master's programme
- Average grade for the Bachelor's should be at least a 7 or equivalent (A bachelor thesis or writing sample can be requested if necessary to confirm quality);
- Affinity with environmental sciences or sustainability, proven by previous study program, courses, thesis or relevant (volunteer) work experience, expressed in a motivation statement or curriculum vitae;
- ERM requirements for English language proficiency, including sufficient scores for each test component;
- Strong motivation statement addressing:
- Interest for environmental and sustainability issues
- Specific interest for ERM
- Future ambitions after graduation
Please note: you will need to upload all required documents in one PDF file, using this template.
Please check here which documents you need to submit for this specific programme.
English language requirements
VU Amsterdam requires all applicants to take an English test. You can, however, begin your application without having the test results. Exceptions are made for students who have completed a Bachelor's or Master's in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia.
The minimum English language proficiency requirements for admission to this Master's programme are:
• IELTS: 6.5 overall (minimum sub scores 6.0)
• TOEFL Internet-based test: 92 overall
- Minimum Sub-score Reading 18
- Minimum Sub-score Listening 19
- Minimum Sub-score Speaking 19
- Minimum Sub-score Writing 23
• Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): A, B, C
• Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): A, B, C
Please note that students who need a study visa must submit their English test results before 1 June. All other students have to submit the test certificate before 31 August (preferably sooner).
TOEFL and IELTS tests must have been completed no more than two years before 1 September of the year in which your course starts. Note that TOEFL MyBestScore is not accepted. Our institution code is 7947.
Your English test results can be included in your application file or sent to the following email address (for non-Dutch degree holders): firstname.lastname@example.org
The general requirements regarding language proficiency are found here.
Self Check Tool
Are you curious whether you meet the admission requirements for the programme? Then you can fill out the online Student Self Check tool to find out more about your chances to be admitted to the Master’s programme Environment and Resource Management.
In the tool you will be asked some questions about your previous education and background. Based on your answers you will receive a personal preliminary advice on your eligibility for admission and the next steps you can take to continue your application. Please note: no rights can be derived from the Self Check tool results. For a definite admission decision you will have to complete the official application procedure for this programme.