If you have read the admission criteria and feel you are eligible for admission, please take the following steps to submit your application. Note that the initial application procedure is fully online and that scans of your original documents are required.
The application deadlines are:
- 1 June for non-Dutch EU/EEA students
- 1 June for holders of a Dutch Bachelor’s degree (with a Dutch or EU/EEA nationality)
- 1 April for non-EU/EEA students*
*non-EU/EEA students who do not need a study visa and/or a residence permit can still apply until 1 June.
Step 1: Review the admission criteria
Step 2: Prepare your documents and apply online
Please prepare the following documents. You can find an explanation of each document on the application page. All documents should be provided in English.
- Copy of your valid passport or ID (ID only for EU residents)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Transcript of records
- Thesis (or another sample of academic writing, at least 5 pages plus a list of used literature)
- A description of the relevant courses you have taken during your previous higher education and a list of all the main literature. You can use this format.
After preparing the required documents, please follow the online application procedure. Once you have completed the application, our international student advisors will contact you via email.
Step 3: Await the decision on admission
The admission board will review your application as soon as it is complete. Normally this takes about four weeks, but it might take longer in busy periods so be sure to apply as soon as possible. If you are admitted to the programme, you will receive a letter of conditional admission by email.
Step 4: Finalise your registration!
Make sure to finalise your registration as a student before the start of the programme. When all of the conditions are met, you will be ready to start your programme at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam!
Application fee & deadlines
All students seeking admission to an international Bachelor’s or Master’s programme with an international degree are required to pay a non-refundable €100 application fee. Only after you have paid this fee will we be able to start the evaluation of your application file. If you are applying for more than one programme, you will only need to pay the application fee once. Your application fee payment is valid for two years.
Information on how to apply with an international university degree and deadlines can be found here.
For more information, international students may also contact the International Student Advisor: email@example.com.
Grants and scholarships
As an international student planning to study at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you can apply for a variety of grants and bursaries. Detailed information about scholarships and deadlines can be found on www.vu.nl/scholarships or www.grantfinder.nl.
International Student and Alumni Ambassadors
Our International Student and Alumni Ambassadors are happy to tell you all about their experiences with studying at VU Amsterdam and living in Amsterdam.
- Our Student Ambassadors are current students at VU Amsterdam that represent a wide variety of programmes and countries.
- Our International Alumni Ambassadors are VU Amsterdam graduates who are currently either working in the Netherlands or abroad, or doing a PhD or (second) Master's.
You will find the full overview of our Ambassadors here: vu.nl/ambassadors. There you can chat with them directly.