If you want to apply for a Master's programme at VU Amsterdam, the application procedure depends on your previous degree(s) and whether you obtained your diploma in the Netherlands or abroad. You find all information about the application procedure with a Dutch or international degree on the application page. Once you have completed the application, our International Student Advisors will contact you via email.
If you have read the admission criteria and feel you are eligible for admission, please take the following steps to submit your application. Note that the initial application procedure is fully online and that scans of your relevant documents are required.
Step 1: Meet admission criteria
Step 2: Prepare documents and apply online
Please prepare the following documents. You can find an explanation of each document on the application page. All documents should be provided in English.
- Copy of your valid passport or ID (only for EU residents)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Motivation
- Transcript (Provide a certified translation if it is not in Dutch or English)
- A description of the relevant courses you have taken during your previous higher education, A description of the relevant courses you have taken during your previous higher education, including the literature used
- BSc Thesis (or another sample of academic writing)
The above documents should provide a clear and comprehensive description of the following:
- The statistical methods and analyses you are acquainted with;
- The ecological, evolutionary and genetic concepts/theories you are acquainted with;
- The textbooks that have been used for the above subjects;
- Detailed information on your BSc thesis, internships and working experience, if applicable;
- The experience you have with lab work;
- The address of the webpage where the Admission Board can find further information regarding the content and learning objectives of the courses in your Bachelor’s programme;
- Your current position/profession.
After having prepared the required documents, please follow the online application procedure. Once you have completed the application, our international student advisors will contact you via email.
Step 3: Await decision on admission
The admission board will review your application as soon as it is complete. Normally this takes about four weeks, but it might take longer during periods so be sure to apply as soon as possible. If you are admitted, you will receive a letter of conditional admission by email. That is the point when you can start planning your move to Amsterdam!
Step 4: Finalise your registration and move to Amsterdam!
Make sure to finalise your registration as a student before the start of the programme. When all conditions of your admission have been met, you will be ready to start your programme at VU Amsterdam!
Application fee & deadlines
All students seeking admission to an international Bachelor’s or Master’s programme with an international degree are required to pay a non-refundable €100 application fee. Only after you have paid this fee will we be able to start the evaluation of your application file. If you are applying for more than one programme, you will only need to pay the application fee once. Your application fee payment is valid for two years.
The application deadlines are:
- 1 February for international students applying for one of the VU scholarships
- 1 April for non-EU/EEA students*
- 15 July for non-Dutch EU/EEA students
- 15 July for holders of a Dutch bachelor’s degree (with a Dutch or EU/EEA nationality)
*non-EU/EEA students who do not need a study visa and/or a residence permit can still apply until 15 July
Information on how to apply with an international university degree can be found here.
Please note: you will need to upload all required documents in one PDF file, using this template.
Please check here which documents you need to submit for this specific programme.
For more information, international students may also contact the International Student Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grants and scholarships
As an international student planning to study at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you can apply for a variety of grants and bursaries. Detailed information about scholarships and deadlines can be found on www.vu.nl/scholarships or www.grantfinder.nl.
Some International students are happy to tell you about their experience with living and studying in Amsterdam. These Student Ambassadors come from all over the world and have attended various Bachelor's and Master's programmes.
Our Student Ambassadors are listed here on this webpage: vu.nl/ambassadors. Reach out to them and get their stories about being a student at VU Amsterdam.