The programme offers a a unique combination of information systems and innovation management – no other university offers anything similar. VU Amsterdam has a reputation for integrity, which means the programme also covers the ethical perspective on digital innovations. And as so many organisations are in the process of digital transformation right now, what you’ll be learning is hyper-relevant in today’s job market.
Digital Business and Innovation provides thorough academic understanding of how organizations can effectively use digital technologies to innovate their business processes, products, services and business models. The programme builds on the core domains of information systems and innovation management that address the strategic value of information systems for current business and the specific nature of digital innovation processes. Students are challenged to develop their own innovation ideas and master the required skills and creative confidence.
To break it down:
- You’ll take two mandatory academic courses:
- Research Design and Methodology
- Ethics in a Digital World
- You’ll take three mandatory thematic courses:
- Digital Business & Information Systems
- Management of Digital Information
- Working and Organising in a Digital Age
- You’ll also take at least three electives and write your Master’s thesis.
A few examples:
- Digital Business & Information Systems – As a team, compete with your peers in a dragon’s den situation where business directors from Deloitte judge which team’s proposal wins.
- Digital Innovation Lab – Get hands-on experience by building the technology to solve a real-life issue. Develop problem-solving skills and creative confidence by working as a team to create a working prototype of a game-based app.
- Ethics in a Digital World – Delivery companies like Deliveroo use new business models based on algorithms. But these digital technologies bring up ethical questions: are delivery drivers employees or self-employed? And what responsibility does the company have to them?
The start date of this programme is September 1st.