The Biomolecular Science programme is open to both Dutch and International Students. The Faculty’s Admission Board will decide upon your admission after having evaluated your complete online application.
Admission to the Master's programme is possible for an applicant who has obtained a Bachelor’s degree obtained at an institution of academic higher education, which demonstrates the following knowledge, understanding and skills:
A minimum of 24 EC coursework in Biochemistry/Molecular Genetics/(Molecular) Cell Biology at the 300 level (last year of Bachelor).
b. Practical laboratory and research skills:
• basic laboratory techniques and methods obtained in practicals and courses
• preferably a bachelor research internship on a subject related to the topics mentioned under a.
In addition, students should also meet the following criteria:
· An average Bachelor grade of 7.0 or higher
· A Bachelor internship in a relevant field (Biochemistry/ Cell Biology) with a minimum grade of 7.5
If a final grade is not yet available an interim evaluation by the internship supervision will be considered.
Some HBO/HLO specializations provide adequate preparation to the programme. The Admission Board will decide about admission on the basis of the above criteria.
General language proficiency requirements
VU Amsterdam requires students with a HBO degree to pass an English language proficiency test. This requirement can be met if no longer than two years before the start of the programme the applicant has successfully completed one of the following examinations with the minimum scores indicated:
Exceptions are made for students who:
- HLO students who get invited to an intake interview and for which the Admissions Board decides that the English proficiency is sufficient
- have obtained a Dutch vwo-diploma including English, or an International Baccalaureate or European Baccalaureate diploma
- have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch university
- have completed previous education in Canada, Ireland, UK, USA, Australia or New Zealand.
Please refer to the Language Requirements webpage for the general requirements regarding language proficiency. Copies of your English test results can be sent to the following address: email@example.com.
The application deadlines are:
- 1 February for international students applying for one of the VU scholarships
- 1 April for non-EU/EEA students*
- 15 July for non-Dutch EU/EEA students
- 15 July for holders of a Dutch bachelor’s degree (with a Dutch or EU/EEA nationality)
*non-EU/EEA students who do not need a study visa and/or a residence permit can still apply until 15 July