Then the Master’s in Geographical Information Sciences is the programme for you. This fully online, three-year, part-time Master’s is ideally suited for busy professionals interested in taking their careers to the next level. Whether you need to track specific behaviours or events or create entire ‘digital twins’ of a region, the UNIGIS Master’s gives you all the skills you need to turn data into decisions.
Boost your career and make your data work for you
Check whether you meet the programme requirements and sign up
- This Master’s programme focuses strongly on professional roles in which geospatial methods and techniques are applied.
- There are extensive opportunities to learn from other professionals. The core composition of the student body consists of mid-career professionals working in a variety of fields of application.
- A highly skilled, professional team of lecturers with academic expertise in the application of GIS in a variety of scientific and societal fields, and experience consulting with various public and private institutions, will lead the study and closely follow your development.
- The Admission Board will decide upon your admission after having evaluated your complete online application.
- In order to gain admission to our Master’s programme, you will need to have at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited research university including at least three full years of academic study amounting to a minimum of 180 ECTS or equivalent.
Your prior training should include:
- A GIS course of 6 EC and at least 300 level (equivalent to a third-year course in a bachelor’s programme).
- An Academic and Research skills course of 6 EC and at least 300 level.
If you do not yet fulfill these admission requirements, a Premaster’s programme is also available.
VU Amsterdam requires all applicants to take an English test. You can, however, begin your application without having the test results. Exceptions are made for students who have completed a bachelor or master in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia.
The minimum English language proficiency requirements for admission to this master’s programme are:
- (Academic) IELTS: at least 7.0, on all subscores
- TOEFL internet-based test at least 100
The test results should be obtained no more than two years before the start of the programme at VU Amsterdam.
- The master’s programme takes three academic years of part-time study (14 hours per week).
- It is possible to complete the full programme more quickly (if you can dedicate more time to your studies).
- You can also exit the programme earlier, upon which you receive a Certificate or Diploma depending on the credits that have been obtained to date.
There are two premaster courses:
- Introduction to GIS, 6 EC
- Academic and Research Skills, 6 EC
The tuition fee is € 1,071.50 in case you need to take both courses.
In case you need to taken only one: € 535.75.
As a premaster student, you will not receive restitution on the fee if you decide to terminate your enrollment.