Check here whether you meet the admission requirements and find out how to apply.
Immerse yourself in the archaeology of Europe and the Mediterranean area
Check if you meet the entry requirements and apply!
English language requirements
New pre-master's students should be able to speak, read, write and understand English at an advanced academic level.
An applicant should demonstrate that they have sufficient level of proficiency in English by meeting at least one of the following standards, no more than two (2) years before the start of the programme at VU Amsterdam:
- (academic) IELTS: 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 on each item;
- TOEFL paper based test: 600, with a minimum of 55 on each component and 4.0 in TWE;
- TOEFL internet based test: 100, with a minimum of 22-23 on each component.
The TOEFL ITP will not be accepted!
- completed an English-taught secondary or higher education degree in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia or
- have earned a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an English-taught programme accredited by NVAO in the Netherlands, or
- have earned a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an accredited English-taught programme in another member state of the European Union, or
- have a Dutch VWO diploma, or
- have obtained a Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) or a Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) with a score of A, B, C , are exempted from the above requirements
If you are unsure whether you meet the entry requirements, you are advised to get in touch with the programme coordinators before applying (See: Contact).
Application with a Dutch degree
Apply for the pre-master's programme via Studielink. The application deadline is: 1 June.
What happens after I have applied?
After you have applied for the pre-master's in Studielink, you will receive your login details for your personal dashboard on vu.nl by email within two days. Please complete your application in your personal dashboard.
Your application for the pre-master's programme should contain the following documents. Submit these documents via your personal dashboard on VU.nl:
- Transcript of records (scan of original)
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter
- Literature list
- Course description
Please prepare these documents before you're going to complete your application in your personal dashboard.
Please note: students of the Faculty of Humanities at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam do NOT need to upload these documents.
Your application will be reviewed by the Admission Board of Faculty of Humanities. You will be informed whether you have been admitted via Studielink.
For more information, please contact dr. Ton Derks.