R is an open-source programming language that has become very important in data science because of its versatility in the field of statistics. R is usually used when the task requires special analysis of data for standalone or distributed computing. R is also perfect for data exploration. It can be used in any kind of analysis work, as it has many tools and is also very extensible.
This course focuses upon understanding statistical models and analysing the results whilst learning to work with R. As well as introducing the software to newcomers, it presents basic and more advanced statistics.
When asked about the best part of the course, students from the 2023 winter school edition answered:
“The teacher! He really explained everything so well. It was such an intense course, but I really liked how he presented everything to us and was open to questions.”
“The teacher took time to answer all the questions and i like how the course was build up. So for every new exercise you needed to understand the previous lecture or exercise.”
We are currently not open for applications. We will announce the new course offer in August 2023. Please leave your details to receive the announcement when we open registrations for VU Graduate Winter School 2024.
- Course days: 9-13 January 2023
- Attendance: online
- Course level: Master's, PhD candidates, and professionals from all disciplines
- Course curriculum: read more about the course curriculum
- Coordinating lecturer: Andrea Bassi
- Forms of tuition: online lectures and practical classes
- Language of tuition: English
- Forms of assessment: written assignment
- Credits: 3 ECTS
- Contact hours: 35 hours
- Tuition fee: read more about our fees, discounts and scholarships
This online course is part of VU Amsterdam Graduate Winter School online learning, short courses targeted at graduates and professionals.