On this page you will find the tuition fees for our Bachelor's degree programmes. General information about the payment of your tuition fee can be found here.
Tuition fee rates Bachelor's programmes
Tuition fee rates academic year 2024-2025
Statutory tuition fees 2024-2025
If you meet all the conditions as stated on the website of DUO, you will pay the statutory tuition fees for academic year 2024-2025.
Full-time, part-time or work-study degree €2.530,00 B Liberal Arts and Sciences €4.940,00 B Philosophy, Politics and Economics €4.560,00
Institutional tuition fees 2024-2025
If you do not meet all the conditions for the statutory tuition fee, you will pay the institutional tuition fee for a programme at the VU. This also applies to students who take a second accredited bachelor's programme after their first Dutch government-accredited one. We also call this the 'second degree rate'.
The same fees apply to full-time, part-time and dual programmes
Take a look at the overview of institutional tuition fees for Bachelor’s programmes 2024-2025.
For a 2nd study, you pay the institutional tuition fee rate equivalent to the statutory tuition fee rate if you:
- started a 2nd Bachelor's programme during the first Bachelor's programme. You follow the 2nd Bachelor's programme without interruption. The institutional tuition fee to the amount of the statutory tuition fee still applies after you have completed your 1st Bachelor's programme (source: Rijksoverheid). Or;
- start a Bachelor's programme in the field of Health Care or Education for the 1st time (source: Rijksoverheid) , or;
- start a second Bachelor's programme at VU Amsterdam immediately after having completed a 1st Bachelor's programme at VU. Tuition fees apply for the nominal duration of the second VU Bachelor's programme +1 year if statutory tuition fees were applied for the first VU bachelor's programme. Excluded are Bachelor's programmes with a numerus fixus (B Gezondheid en Leven; B Geneeskunde; B Tandheelkunde; B Psychology; B Biomedical Sciences; B Criminology, B Computer Science). You follow the 2nd Bachelor's programme without interruption. Or;
- have completed a Bachelor's degree in Medicine, or an undivided degree programme in Medicine, are doing PhD research at VU or UvA, have a written letter of intent from the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Amsterdam UMC, and are taking the Bachelor's degree programme in Dentistry.
- This regulation concerns Bachelor's and Master's degrees obtained from 1 September 1991 onwards and only for Dutch accredited funded programmes (HBO and WO). Please note that any specialisations that fall under one Bachelor's or Master's programme have the same ISAT code (also called: programme number) and therefore count as the same programme. Have you obtained a degree, and do you want to continue with another specialisation? Then you will pay the institutional tuition fees for the following academic year.
Refugees and undocumented migrants
The institutional fee in the amount of the statutory fee is calculated:
- When tuition fees are paid by UAF Foundation.
- For Ukrainian refugees who owed the institutional fee in the amount of the statutory rate in academic year 2022-2023. The tuition fee applies only to the undergraduate programme of academic year 2022-2023 and for the nominal duration of the undergraduate programme +1 year.
There are 8 types of residence permits with which you pay the statutory tuition fee, subject to conditions:
- type I: temporary residence permit regular (conditions);
- type II: permanent residence permit regular;
- type III: temporary residence permit asylum;
- type IV: permanent asylum residence permit;
- type V: residence permit for long-term resident;
- type Article 50 TEU: residence document for (family members of) UK nationals subject to the operation of the Withdrawal Agreement (Brexit)
- EU/EEA type: residence document for community nationals;
- EU/EEA family member type: residence document for family members.
The Student Administration will assess your eligibility for tuition fee reductions after you send a copy of your residence permit (front and back in PDF format) to email@example.com. Is your residence document based on residence with a family member? Then also send the residence permit of the relative in question (front and back in PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuition fee rates academic year 2023-2024
Statutory tuition fees 2023-2024
If you meet all the conditions as stated on the website of DUO, you will pay the statutory tuition fees for academic year 2023-2024.
Take a look at the overview of statutory tuition fees for Bachelor’s programmes 2023-2024.
Institutional tuition fees 2023-2024
If you are not a national of one of the EU/EEA countries, you will have to pay the institutional fees for a study programme at VU Amsterdam. This also applies to students who are following a second funded Bachelor's programme after their first funded Bachelor’s programme. We also call this 'second degree tuition fees’. More information about these fees and the exceptions can be found here.
The same fees apply to full-time, part-time and work-study programmes.
Take a look at the overview of institutional tuition fees for Bachelor’s programmes 2023-2024.
Institutional fees vs. statutory fees
Are you paying the institutional tuition fee rate and do you think you are entitled to the statutory tuition fee rate because you have already applied for a residence permit? Then please take the following steps.
- Upload your residence permit to your personal dashboard on VU.nl and send a copy (front and back in PDF format) to email@example.com.
- Is your residence permit based on residence with a family member? In that case, please also upload the residence permit of the family member in question and send a copy (front and back in PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apply for a direct debit authorisation in Studielink before the final deadline (15 July for numerus fixus study programmes and 31 August for other regular study programmes). You will not be able to enrol without this.
- If it is decided that you are entitled to the statutory tuition fee rate, this will be adjusted with effect from the first day of the month following the validity date of your residence permit. We will make this adjustment up to and including the end of the academic year (31 August). After the close of the academic year, the fees will no longer be processed retroactively. If we do not receive your document until after 31 August of the current academic year, it is possible that you will have to pay the institutional fees for the first month(s) of classes.
- Without a valid residence permit, you will not become enrolled. It is possible that you still need to apply for a residence document based on study, please read our visa page carefully to see what applies to you.
Transitional arrangements and exceptions
All transitional arrangements can be found in the Regulation for Application and Enrolment 2023-2024.
- Are you going to start a funded Bachelor’s degree programme in higher education (college/university) for the first time? Then you will receive a one-year € 1.157 discount on the tuition fees. The conditions can be found on the website of the Government of the Netherlands.
- Are you entering higher education (college/university) for the first time in the Liberal Arts and Sciences joint degree Bachelor’s programme and do you meet all the conditions for statutory tuition fees? Then you will pay the reduced tuition fees of € 3.543 in 2023-2024.
- Are you entering higher education (college/university) for the first time in the Philosophy, Politics and Economics Bachelor’s programme and do you meet all the conditions for the statutory tuition fees? Then you will pay the reduced tuition fees of € 3.193 in 2023-2024.
- Students following the Universitaire Pabo (a teacher training course) pay half the statutory tuition fees for the first two years. The conditions can be found on the website of the Government of the Netherlands.
For possible exceptions per tuition fee rate, please refer to the Regulation for Application and Enrolment 2023-2024.
Do you have any questions?
Please contact the Student Desk.