Additional Master's courses requirements
All exchange students are expected to have an advanced level of English language proficiency (TOEFL IBT at least 92; IELTS at least 6.5). If you are planning to take Bachelor's courses only, it is not necessary to send us proof of your English proficiency.
However, if you wish to take Master’s courses, you are required to upload additional documents, preferably before 1 June for the first semester or 1 November for the second semester:
- Bachelor's diploma in a relevant field of study. If you have not received your Bachelor's diploma by the time you start classes in Amsterdam, it is also possible to submit a letter from your university indicating that you have earned at least 180 ECTS and/or will graduate before 1 September;
- English proficiency test (see below for minimum requirements).
English language proficiency
Below you can find an overview of the English proficiency tests that we accept, as well as the minimum scores:
- IELTS test: 6.5 (please note that you must take the Academic test and not the General one!)
- TOEFL paper-based test: 580
- TOEFL computer-based test: 237
- TOEFL internet-based test: 92. We are now also accepting the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition. The test is available everywhere that TOEFL iBT testing is normally available, with the exception of Mainland China and Iran. Our institution's code is 7947.
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): A, B, C
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): A, B, C
Your English proficiency test must have been taken no more than two years before 1 September of the year in which your exchange starts.
Exceptions to the English Language Proficiency requirements are made to students who:
- completed their education in Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia;
- follow(ed) an entirely English-taught Bachelor's or Master's programme.