Research is part of the program Boundaries of Law.
Most researchers in the department are involved with one or more of three major research centres:
• Centre for the Politics of Transnational Law (CePTL) is an academic research centre for multidisciplinary research on the dynamic relationship between law and politics in a globalizing world.
• The Amsterdam Law and Technology Institute (ALTI) is a focus for research and training on all aspects of law, internet, and technology.
• The VU Interdisciplinary Centre for European Studies (VICES) is a meeting place for researchers from different faculties at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam who study aspects of European integration.
Themes which feature in the research carried out in the department include:
- The European Court of Justice
- The European internal market
- Union Citizenship
- The rights of migrants
- Cimate change
- Internet governance
- E-commerce law
- Online sex crime
- Online dispute resolution
- Internet of things
- Privacy and the internet
- Social media regulation
- Robot law
- International peace and security
- The concept of sovereignty
- Theory of international law
- International courts and trials
- The relation international law - international politics