VU Open Access policy
From 1 January 2023, VU will implement a new policy which makes Open Access publishing the norm. By adopting this policy, VU takes its responsibility in supporting researchers in making their publications Open Access. Thus, the policy is in line with the requirements of an increasing number of research funding providers. This creates unity and clarity for researchers. Moreover, through this approach VU focuses on creating a sustainable and affordable publication landscape.
Under VU policy, scientific publications by VU authors should:
- be registered in the VU Repository (PURE);
- be made immediately Open Access under an open licence, where possible;
- remain under the author's copyright, where possible;
- to be made available via the VU Repository (PURE).
Read more about these principles in the VU Open Access policy or view the frequently asked questions & answers about the policy.
Why does VU adopt Open Access publishing as the new standard?
Making publications accessible to everyone is an important part of the ambition for Open Science. The principles of Open Science are widely accepted worldwide and are also reflected in open publishing. Making your scientific work Open Access has several advantages:
- It ensures equal access to knowledge for everyone;
- It broadens the visibility and impact of your work;
- It accelerates the reuse of your work, thereby promoting innovation;
- It increases transparency and thus trust in science.