The Executive Board and the deans have decided to use just one name for the university from September 2015 onwards, both in national and international contexts: Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. The decision to harmonize the name was prompted by our wish to achieve a clearer identity, both in national and international contexts. “Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam” may be abbreviated to “VU Amsterdam” and when appropriate in context, “VU”.
The use of other previous names, such as: VU University, VU University Amsterdam, VUA is no longer desirable since 2015.
- Official name: Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Alternative where less space is available: VU* Amsterdam
- Abbreviation, when appropriate in context: VU**
- VU is pronounced as 'voo'
- ** In English it is incorrect to write 'the VU'. See the examples below for proper use.
Academic publications and rankings
It is important to use the correct international name and logo in all academic publications. Do you have any questions about the use of logo's? Please contact email@example.com. Would you like more details about the use of the name in the context of sciencific publications and context with international rankings? Please get in touch with the Research Intelligence team of the University Library, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Correct use of name in text and means of communication (web pages, posters/flyers/etc.)
- In running text: first time official name in full, then VU Amsterdam or VU
- In headings/titles/headlines with corporate logo: VU Amsterdam or VU
- In headings/titles/headlines without corporate logo: first time official name in full, then VU Amsterdam or V
Correct use of name for social media
- Naming in profile: Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam or VU + faculty
- Naming in content: VU Amsterdam or VU (due to number of characters to be used)
The correct templates and logo files
All of the correct templates and logo files can be found in VU Toolbox, from where they can be downloaded. If you are not yet registered with Toolbox, you can obtain log-in details by using the “Register” button in the login screen. Further details about Toolbox
If you see the old name or old logo still being used, please report it here. This will help us to ensure that the correct international name and logo are universally used.