Basic principles governing use of space
In general, VU Amsterdam facilitates all gatherings – regardless of the topic – that take place at VU Amsterdam and have the above-mentioned educational purpose, as long as they do not conflict with the basic principles of inclusivity, security, openness to other opinions and mutual respect.
The following also applies:
- The meeting planned takes a balanced approach, with clear evidence that different views and perspectives have been invited to take part. Responsibility for compliance with VU Amsterdam’s rental conditions rests with the persons organising the event.
- The gathering must be accessible to a broad public and presented in the Dutch or English language, or else the option of translation must be available.
- The VU Amsterdam Principles function as a reference point for all gatherings organised at VU Amsterdam.
- The persons organising the event bear and accept responsibility for the way their supporters are informed about the event and the way the event is discussed in the media, including social media.
- Applicants will be sent the house rules and rental conditions. Applicants must sign the rental conditions as proof of agreement. If the rental conditions have not been signed, the space will not be rented to the applicant.
- Only when the application has been approved are the applicants permitted to communicate about the VU Amsterdam location.
- VU Amsterdam retains the right to cancel the request at the last minute.
- The title of the event must be an objective representation of the content of the debate and not inflammatory. The title of the event may be changed in consultation with VU Amsterdam.
Application criteria for use of space
VU Amsterdam does not rent out rooms for the following events:
- Meetings with content that may compete with or be at odds with the teaching, research and/or operations of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam;
- One-sided party political meetings;
- Meetings that incite law breaking or violence;
- Meetings that enforce segregation on the basis of sex.
Furthermore, no meetings are permitted with evidence of the following:
- The exclusion of participants on the basis of sexual orientation, sex, race, religion, nationality, or other characteristics; Discrimination on any grounds whatsoever;
- Creation of an unsafe situation or creation of psychologically unsafe or threatening conditions in the room that could endanger meeting participants or others who are present in the building.
If there are any doubts about an application, a select group of VU Amsterdam experts will take a decision. VU Amsterdam endeavours to have applications assessed within 10 working days. VU Amsterdam reserves the right to reject an application to rent out its space without giving reasons.
The organisers of an event are also responsible for compliance with VU Amsterdam’s basic principles governing use of space and the application criteria for use of space after permission has been granted by the university. If a reservation gives evidence of having a different purpose than was initially indicated, VU Amsterdam reserves the right to withdraw the reservation.