Sorry! De informatie die je zoekt, is enkel beschikbaar in het Engels.
This programme is saved into My study choice.
This programme cannot be saved.
You are not logged in yet to My study choice Portal. Login or create an account to save your programmes.
Something went wrong, try again later.

Registration with the municipality

When you will stay in the Netherlands for more than four months, you need to register with the municipality.

After registration, the municipal office will send a social security number (BSN) to your Dutch address. When you register at the municipality, this can take up to three weeks. 

More information

  • Students

    Required documents

    • Passport or European ID card. A driver's license is not sufficient. 
    • Printed rental agreement for your Dutch address: showing this on your cell phone is not sufficient. If you do not have a rental agreement then you must bring a written statement of approval signed by the main tenant and a copy of his/her passport.
    • Declaration of Registration (DoR) from VU Amsterdam. This declaration is available from the moment you are registered at our university, and can be collected digitally via the 'Complete registration' page in your personal dashboard on

    Optional documents, only if applicable:

    • Birth Certificate (legalised)* – please note that this is only required if you are staying for longer than one year in an accommodation outside of Amsterdam or Amstelveen. If your birth certificate is not in Dutch, English, French or German, then you must supply a sworn translation into one of these languages
    • Students who are married also need to bring their marriage certificate (legalised)*
    • If you come from Aruba, Curacao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba: proof of deregistration ('Verhuisbericht')
    • A marriage or divorce certificate
    • A death certificate of your spouse (to prove that the marriage was dissolved by death)
    • The birth certificates of your children (if they also come and live here and join you for registration)

    Students who are married will also need to bring their marriage certificate (legalised).*

    * The legalisation method depends on the respective country. The Dutch missions in other countries are responsible for legalising foreign documents for use in the Netherlands. The documents must first have been legalised by the country’s own authorities, usually the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the document was issued. For more information see here.

    Registration at the municipality

    Municipality of Amstelveen

    The municipality of Amstelveen (for residents of Uilenstede) will be present during our Practical Matters Days. Here, you can register directly at the municipality. That means that it is not necessary to arrange an appointment with the municipality yourself. 

    • The Practical Matters Day for Bachelor's students will take place on Tuesday 23 August
    • The Practical Matters Day for Master's students and exchange students will take place on Wednesday 24 August

    If you are not able to stop by at the Practical Matters Day, you need to arrange your registration yourself. This can be done as follows:

    • Make an appointment by phone via +31 (0)20 540 49 11 with the municipality (migration department) of Amstelveen.
    • Make sure to bring all necessary documents in hard copy to the appointment. This means clear copies of: Passport or ID and your rental agreement. If you are going to live at EuroParcs City Camping, please bring the letter that the camping gave you.
    • Within 3 weeks you will receive your BSN via e-mail.

    Municipality of Amsterdam

    The municipality of Amsterdam will NOT be present during the Practical Matters Days. This means that if you are going to live in Amsterdam, you need to arrange your registration at the municipality yourself. Please read the information below carefully.

    • For VU Amsterdam students the municipality will have dedicated walk-in hours on 31 August and 1 September between 09:00 and 16:00. You do NOT have to make an appointment for this, but you can just stop by.
    • Do not make an appointment at the municipality yourself - waiting times are long, and we have 2 days reserved for you already. Did you already make an appointment at the municipality yourself? Please cancel this one and stop by during the walk-ins that are mentioned above. 
    • Registration will take place at Bos en Lommerplein 176 in Amsterdam. You can take bus 15 or tram 7 to stop 'Bos en Lommerplein'. Cross the square, and in the corner you will see the office.
    • You can only register at the municipality after your rental agreement has started.
    • Make sure to bring all necessary documents in hard copy to the appointment. This means clear copies of: Passport or ID, rental agreement, student card.
    • Within 3 weeks you will receive your BSN via e-mail.
  • Staff

    Registering at your local municipality is a mandatory procedure if you intend to stay longer than 4 months, irrespective of your nationality. The registration is done in person at the IN Amsterdam in case you will be residing in the Amsterdam area. All family members that will be registered must be present. No registration fees apply. The database is used as a source of information by various other organisations, including IND, the Dutch Tax Administration and the Social Insurance Bank. These organizations rely on the address details as listed in the Municipal Personal Records Database.

    Online appointment form: individuals | IN Amsterdam | I amsterdam

    International employees, PhD candidates and guests of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam from outside the EU/EER can only register with the Municipal Personal Records Database after they have applied for a residence permit with the IND. Both registrations will be arranged during your appointment at the Expatcenter.