Start date: 1 January 2016
End date: 31 December 2019
Funding: United Nations (UNEP/GEF)
Introduction to the research project
The Stockholm Convention requires the participation of all participating countries in the Global Monitoring Program (GMP) by monitoring of POPs. However, some countries do not have the required capacity to do so. This program assists in building capacity in those countries by on-site training of laboratories, an interlab study and workshops.
To build capacity in developing countries in analyzing POPs in various matrices.
The Dep. Environment and Health is one of the reference laboratories of UNEP for this task. Most of the analysis in the project will be done in the E&H laboratory. Training will be given in 3 Asian and 5 African countries and the biennial interlab study is coordinated by E&H.
The 3rd interlab study report in expected in March 2017.
- De Boer, J., H. Leslie, S.P.J. van Leeuwen, J.-W. Wegener, B. van Bavel, G. Lindström, H. Fiedler (2008). UNEP intercomparisons and training on POPs analysis under the Stockholm Convention. Anal. Chim. Acta 617, 208-215.
- Van Leeuwen, S.P.J., B. van Bavel, J.de Boer (2013). First worldwide UNEP interlaboratory study on persistent organic pollutants (POPs): with data on polychlorinated biphenyls and organochlorine pesticides. TrAC Trends Anal. Chem. 46, 110-117.
- Abalos, M., Abad, E., B. van Bavel, S.P.J. van Leeuwen, J. de Boer (2013). First Worldwide interlaboratory study on persistent organic pollutants: Chlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans TrAC Trends Anal. Chem. 46, 99-109.
- Leslie, B. van Bavel, H., E. Abad, J. de Boer (2013). Towards comparable POPs data worldwide and analytical capacity building in Africa, Central and Latin America, and the Pacific. TrAC Trends Anal. Chem. 46, 85-97.
- Lal, V. W. Aalbersberg, W., H. Fiedler, B. van Bavel, J. de Boer (2013). Capacity building for persistent organic pollutant (POP) analysis and POP trends in the Pacific Islands. TrAC Trends Anal. Chem. 46, 173-177.
- Van Leeuwen, S.P.J., B. van Bavel, E. Abad, H. Leslie, H. Fiedler, J. de Boer (2013). POPs analysis reveals issues in bringing laboratories in developing countries to a higher level. TrAC Trends Anal. Chem. 46, 198-206.
- Fiedler, H., E. Abad, B. van Bavel, J. de Boer, C. Bogdal, R. Malisch (2013). The need for capacity building and the first results for the Stockholm Convention Global Monitoring Plan. TrAC Trends Anal. Chem. 46, 72-84. nal. Chim. Acta 617, 208-215.
Örebro University, Sweden; CSIC, Barcelona, Spain.