Sorry! De informatie die je zoekt, is enkel beschikbaar in het Engels.
This programme is saved into My study choice.
This programme cannot be saved.
You are not logged in yet to My study choice Portal. Login or create an account to save your programmes.
Something went wrong, try again later.

Studying with a disability

Register disability
Last updated on 1 March 2022

Register yourself

Do you have a physical disability, a chronic illness, dyslexia or a psychological disability? And do you need facilities during your studies? Preferably register this immediately when registering for your study programme. It is possible to register later or make changes to your data. Before requesting a facility, please read the information on facilities during examinations and on campus below.


Your data will be registered in the information system of VU Amsterdam. The information about your disability is very confidential, so we handle it very carefully. That is why only a limited number of VU employees have access to specific information about disabilities.

Contact your academic advisor

For all your questions about studying with a disability and to request all the facilities you need, please contact your academic advisor.

For example:

  • applying for facilities on campus
  • educational facilities (including adjusted planning, attendance requirement)
  • facilities for exams (including extra time)
  • (possible) study delay due to your disability
  • help with study planning
  • questions about the Binding recommendation on continuation of studies (BSA)
  • the financial support regulation called Profile Fund


If you indicate that you have a disability when registering at VU Amsterdam in Studielink you will be informed about relevant topics in the field of studying with a disability via a newsletter, if desired.


Please contact your academic advisor for all questions regarding studying with a disability. 

Do you think you may be eligible for financial funding through DUO, please contact the student counsellors for assistance. 

Facilities and financial arrangements

  • Facilities during an exam

    Because of your disability, you may be entitled to extra facilities during exams. You can discuss this with your academic advisor. If you are granted a facility, this will be registered in our system, so that this can be taken into account during the organization of exams. The VU offers the following facilities:

    Extra time during the exam

    If you are entitled to extra time, your exams will be extended by half an hour.

    You take the exam in the regular room. Take a seat in the back of the hall, room or block, so students who finish their exams early will not disturb you. Does your exam take place in multiple blocks and / or rooms (for example, blocks 02, 04, 05)? Then you take a seat at the back of the block or the room with the highest number (in this case at the back of block 05).

    Extra toilet visit during the exam

    If you have permission to "use the toilet during an exam", you may also go to the toilet during the first 90 minutes of the exam. Choose a place close to the toilet. This will make things easier for yourself and you avoid disturbing your fellow students unnecessarily.

    Eating, walking or administering medication during exam

    You can get permission to eat, walk or administer medication during exams. The condition is that you disturb other students as little as possible. For example, food that crumbles, cracks or smells strongly is not allowed. If you have permission to walk or to administer medication, leave the room briefly.

    Take an exam digitally

    Do you have permission to take your written exams digitally? Then you use a "facilities room". Fixed computers are set up in two rooms, on which your exam is prepared.

    Low-stimulus area 

    If taking exams in the regular hall leads to serious impediments, which has a negative effect on taking your exam, you may take your exam in a low-stimulus area. This provision is granted in exceptional situations and only if it is really necessary. Please not that it is a low-stimulus area and that it cannot be completely stimulus-free. 


    In exceptional cases it is possible to use a laptop for written exams.

    Dictionary for an exam

    • VASVU students
      If you have completed VASVU and want to use a dictionary during an exam in your bachelor's program, you must request permission for this. Ask the academic advisor about the conditions and procedure for your faculty.
    • Business Administration students
      Do you study Business Administration and do you have dyslexia? Then you can use an EN-NL dictionary for first and second-year exams that are taken in English. For more information, please contact your academic advisor in time.

    Other provisions

    Do you need a facility in connection with your disability that is not listed on this page? Then contact your academic advisor to discuss the options.

    Please note: you can request facilities at least 14 days in advance. After that it is no longer possible.

  • Facilities on campus

    Because of your disability, you may need certain facilities on campus. Here you will find an overview of the facilities that are offered at the VU. If you want to make use of this, or need something else, please discuss this with your academic advisor.

    Adapted toilets

    You can find a list of adapted toilets in the various VU buildings here.


    You can store small aids and textbooks in a personal locker. Contact your academic advisor if you wish to be assigned a locker.


    Parking passes are supplied through Parkeerbedrijf VU/VUmc. There are a few parking spaces on campus available for students. You can only get a parking pass if you already have a nationally valid parking pass.

    You can apply for a parking card using the Request for a parking pass for VU Amsterdam students with a disability (in Dutch).

    Don't you have a national or european disability card? Please make an appointment with Mariƫlle Rozemond at 020-5989010 or from the ARBO service to have your eligibility for the pass determined.

    Facilities in lecture hall

    Do you need adapted furniture in an education room, for example because you use a wheelchair or special chair or because of another limitation? Contact your academic advisor to discuss the necessary adjustments in lecture halls.

    Quiet rooms

    If you are in need of a break during the day due to your disability you can use a rest room. You can reserve the space for a maximum of one hour at a time. Find more information here.

    Access lifts and buildings

    You can apply for an access pass for disabled entrances and elevators. Please contact your academic advisor.

    Is your VU card unusable or have you lost it? Arrange the replacement directly yourself via the Security Desk in HG-KC04. Within fifteen minutes you will have a replacement card with the same rights as you had. Your old pass will no longer work from that moment on.


    Due to your disability, you can use a storage space for larger aids. Please contact your academic advisor.

    Other provisions

    Do you need a facility in connection with your disability that is not listed on this page? Then contact your academic advisor to discuss the options.

  • Financial arrangements

    Profile Fund

    If you experience a delay in your studies, you can receive a financial contribution for your studies from the Profile Fund scheme. Contact your academic advisor to arrange the documentation for your application.

    Arrangements through DUO

    Sometimes it is not possible to graduate on time due to special circumstances, or you even have to stop studying completely. In some situations you can make a financial arrangement through DUO. More information can be found on the DUO website. The student counsellor and DUO will assess whether you meet the conditions. Therefore, please contact the student counsellor.

    Also view the flyer of the Expertise Center for Disability + Study for information about finances and studying with a disability: informatie over financiƫn en studeren met een beperking (in Dutch).

    Individual study allowance through the municipality

    For students with a medical disability, it is not always possible to work in addition to the time commitment involved in their studies. if you are unable to earn additional income alongside your studies due to a medical disability, you can apply for an individual study allowance from the municipality. You can find more information on the website of the national government.