Sorry! De informatie die je zoekt, is enkel beschikbaar in het Engels.
This programme is saved into My study choice.
This programme cannot be saved.
You are not logged in yet to My study choice Portal. Login or create an account to save your programmes.
Something went wrong, try again later.

Help with finances or housing

Last updated on 12 February 2021

If you are experiencing a study delay due to the corona crisis or if you have financial or housing problems, make use of these regulations and advice.

Do you need help with finances or housing?

  • Study delay due to corona

    Financial compensation for study delay due to corona

    If you experience study delay because of the corona measures, you may be eligible for one of the financial grants from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW) or the VU Amsterdam Profile Fund.

    Compensation from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science

    Did you graduate later than planned due to corona measures? And did you have to pay more tuition fees because of this? Then you may be entitled to financial compensation from the government. DUO (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs, or Education Executive Agency) takes care of the payment. Go to for the conditions and amounts.

    Do not miss the compensation: make sure you can be reached!

    This is the way to be sure you will not miss the notification:

     1. Do you or did you receive study finance? Then log in to 'Mijn DUO' and check whether DUO has your latest postal or e-mail address. If you did not have student finance, you do not have to do anything. DUO will then send the notification to the municipal address you are registered at.

    2. Do you move abroad after graduation? Then register your new address in 'Mijn DUO'. Also install and activate the DigiD app before you leave the country. Then you are able to log in to Mijn DUO everywhere and will not miss the notification. Do you not have student finance and does DUO not have your address? Then make sure that you inform the Dutch municipality of your address abroad before you leave the country.

    Compensation from the VU Amsterdam Profile fund 

    If your studies are delayed, for example because you have become ill yourself, it is in some cases possible to receive a financial compensation for your studies from the Profile Fund

  • Housing problems

    DUWO - Rent 

    If you are a tenant of student housing corporation DUWO and you are currently unable to pay your rent due to falling income, you can contact DUWO or visit the DUWO FAQ page about the Cornona virus.

    DUWO - 'direct offer' housing

    If you are looking for immediate accommodation, please check the DUWO Direct offer page. These are temporarely offered rooms, which are available immediately.

    De Key

    If you rent from De Key and have problems paying the rent due to falling income, you can contact De Key (in Dutch).

    Problems with paying rent - other landlord

    If you can no longer pay the rent for your student room, always contact the landlord to discuss whether a payment arrangement is possible.

  • Financial problems

    If you have financial problems due to the corona crisis and measures, for example because you lost your part-time job and therefore you are not able to pay livings costs, we understand that this is a very unpleasant situation.

    We advise you to investigate the following options:

    EU Students / DUO loan

    For EU students, with study finance from DUO, we advise you to check (in Dutch). It might be possible to temporarily raise your loan or take an extra loan to cover the tuition fee.

    What about my job?

    You may have a lot of questions about your income now that you work fewer hours or cannot work at all. Check (in Dutch) for information about your job and your rights. 

    Are your working in the catering industry? Trade union FNV Horeca answered some FAQ's about the Corona situation

    Loss of income

    In case of loss of income, you can ask your employer to appeal to the Noodfonds Overbrugging Werkgelegenheid (transl. Emergency Fund Bridging Employment) so that your income can continue to be paid. Information can be obtained from your employer or the UWV (in Dutch).

    Urgent financial need

    Students who are in severe financial need due to the Corona pandemic, can send an e-mail to:

  • Corona measures

    Amsterdam region and safety
    Detailed information about the corona measures and information about living in a student house within the safety region (Amsterdam, Amstelveen, Diemen, Ouder-Amstel, Aalsmeer and Uithoorn) can be found on the website of the Municipality of Amsterdam.

    Central government
    You can find everything about the corona measures on the Dutch government website: Rijksoverheid (in Dutch)

    Tax authorities

    Belastingdienst (Tax and Customs Administration) provides an overview of how the service helps citizens and businesses (in Dutch).