Postponement of BSA
At the Faculty of Sciences (Bèta), the BSA standard of 2020- 2021 has been set to a one-time only norm of 36 EC instead of 42 EC for students who started in September 2020. Students who have experienced mild symptoms due to corona or students who have taken a little longer to find their place in the program due to online education are expected to be able to obtain 36 EC.
If you started in 2019 or earlier, the norm of 42 EC applies to you; only first-year courses are counted in the calculation of the number of credits.
The deadline for submitting a request for a postponement of BSA to the BSA committee is June 24th. Please use the form Apply for a BSA deferment for your request.
Note: the form alone is not sufficient, adding the requested attachments is very important.
If you want to request a postponement, make sure you are familiar with the procedure, because incomplete requests will not be processed:
Phase 1 (June, July)
The first meeting of the BSA Committee - which will discuss whether to grant a deferral to students - will take place the first week of July 2021. In order for your request to be discussed at this meeting, you must submit your request (including the requested attachments) before June 25.
What do you need to send for this request?
1. Your completed Request for Postponement form.
2. A cover letter with a detailed explanation of your request and the reason(s) why you believe you should be granted a postponement. It is very important that you include a timeline in your letter showing when the study obstacles occurred, how they affected your study progress, and what steps you took to mitigate them. It is also important to indicate what obstacles you encountered and also what they led to. Also indicate participated in all the exam opportunities, and how or why not. The more specific you are in your description, the better the BSA committee will be able to understand the situation. (If uploading is not possible, you may email the motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating the ticket number of your request for postponement, your program and your student number).
3. Evidence of your personal circumstances* (consider a doctor's statement, correspondence, obituary, medication prescriptions, referral letters, etc.).
If there are personal circumstances*, you must report this to the student advisor no later than June 1st: VUweb - Student, Contact & Student guidance and support, Academic advisor
* Circumstances that may be grounds for postponement of the BSA standard are: illness, pregnancy, special family circumstances, disability/job restriction, and board activities.
4. A grade list showing all passing, failing, and no-shows obtained.
If your request is discussed in this meeting, you will receive the decision of the BSA committee on your VU email address in the second week of July.
If you send your request after June 24, your request will be discussed in August at the hearing (Aug. 17 or 18). You are expected to attend the hearing. Make sure you send your request before the 10th of August.
Phase 2 (August)
For all students (with the exception of those who received a postponement in the BSA committee meeting in July) the following applies: On 2 August 2021 you will receive the intended final BSA decision. If you wish to object to a proposed negative decision, you must do so before August 10, 2021 by using this form.
If you object to the proposed negative decision, you will be invited to the hearing on August 17 or 18, 2021. You are expected to attend the hearing.
At the hearing, you will have the opportunity to explain to the BSA committee why you should be granted a deferral on the standard.
For this meeting the following applies:
- It is not possible to indicate a day or time preference.
- You will receive the invitation to the hearing on your VU email address. You will receive the exact time you will be heard no later than Friday, August 13.