Congratulations! You have been selected to study abroad for a semester. After selection and nomination by VU International Office, you will have to apply to the partner university, ask for approval of the Examination Board, make practical arrangements (visa, housing, etc.) and you can possibly apply for a scholarship.
Exchange step 4: to do after selection
What to do after selection?
Accept or reject your selection
If you've been selected for exchange, you will receive an automated email from our system. Please check your VU and personal inbox carefully! You have 3 days to accept or ignore your selection offer.
Applying at the partner university
If you have been selected by VU International Office, you will first be nominated at the partner university. This doesn't automatically mean that you will go on exchange. After you are nominated by VU International Office, you will have to apply at the partner university and follow their application procedure. To make sure the partner university will admit you, please follow the following steps:
- Make sure that you apply before the partner university's deadline with all required documentation.
- Check carefully if you need to take an English language test (TOEFL or IELTS). Sometimes, the VU TOEFL (ITP) from the Taalloket is accepted, or a letter of English proficiency from the VU International Office. You can find the requirements on the Worldmap. If you need to do an official language test, make sure to apply a.s.a.p., as test dates fill up quickly.
- The partner university will then decide whether to admit or reject you. The chances of you being accepted are high, but not 100%. You will only know for sure after receiving a (letter of) confirmation of your admission from the partner university.
- Please wait until you have officially been admitted before arranging practical matters (e.g. purchasing tickets).
- Do you have questions about the application procedure, choice of courses or other practical matters? Please contact your host university directly. They will be able to assist you.
Approval of applications by the Examination Board
- You need to request approval from the Examination Board of your study programme for the courses that you would like to follow during your exchange semester.
- Please carefully check the requirements of the Examination Board before submitting your request.
- If the Examination Board does not give its approval for a minimum of 24 ECTS, you cannot go on exchange.
- Start this process as soon as possible after you have been selected, as it can take up to six weeks before the Examination Board assesses your the courses.
- If the courses at the host university have not yet been announced for next academic year, you can base your choice of courses on the current offer.
- You also need to inform your host university which courses you would like to take during your exchange semester. Do not wait for the decision of the Examination Board to register for courses. This procedure must be done at the same time, to make sure that you register for the courses on time at the host university. If not all the courses are approved or if there is a timetable clash, you can still submit a new request to the Examination Board.
We organize pre-departure meetings to inform you about what to expect and what to arrange once you have been selected. There will also be an opportunity to ask questions. If you are selected, we will send you an invitation for the pre-departure meeting of your region.
- North America: Tuesday 8 February 2022 12.45-13.30h
- Australia: Tuesday 15 February 2022 12.45-13.30h
- Asia: Tuesday 1 March 2022 12.45-13.30h
- Latin America: Tuesday 8 March 2022 12.45-13.30h
- South Africa: Friday 4 March 2022 12.45-13.30h
- United Kingdom: Wednesday 16 March 2022 12.45-13.30h
- Northern Europe, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe: Wednesday 23 March 12.45-13.30h
- Southern Europe: Wednesday 24 March 12.45-13.30h
After the pre-departure meeting you will receive our pre-departure checklist by mail.
Unpack Your Study Abroad Programme
The Unpack Your Study Abroad (UYSA) programme has been designed and developed by VU Amsterdam’s International Office, in collaboration with the LEARN! Academy of VU Amsterdam. The programme is part of your exchange semester, and it was designed according to VU Amsterdam’s Mixed Classroom principles. This means that it was developed to support and enhance your ability to make successful cultural adjustments and to optimize your preparations for your semester abroad.
The programme is divided in three phases: before, during and after exchange. You will become acquainted with the theoretical concept of culture, while also experiencing a new country first-hand during your exchange. By completing the assignments for each phase of your exchange in your e-Portfolio, you will learn how to reflect upon your experiences and how you can use the competences obtained abroad upon your return.
You will be added to the UYSA Canvas page after you have been selected for exchange. You can then also get in touch with other students selected for your destination.
Applying for a scholarship
- If you are going on exchange within the Erasmus+ programme, you will receive an email with information on how to apply for the scholarship together with the necessary documents at the beginning of April. For details please see Erasmus+scholarship to study in Europe.
- If you are selected for a GLOBE scholarship, you will be invited by email to apply for the scholarship in April. Please go to more information about the Globe Scholarship.
- If you are selected for an HSP scholarship, you will be invited by email to apply for this scholarship in April. Please go to more information about the HSP Scholarship.
Apply for compensation student travel product
When you are staying abroad for your programme, for instance because of an internship or an exchange, you can apply for compensation for the student travel product with DUO. To apply for this compensation, go to www.duo.nl. In order to apply for this compensation, you need a signed statement from the educational institution. This form needs to be signed by the Student Desk (either by mail or in person). Please double check this with the Student Desk.
You can only get the statement signed by the Student Desk after you are fully enrolled for the academic year in which you are going abroad. So, are you going to another country for your education in the academic year 2021-2022? Please complete your enrolment as soon as possible (including the payment of tuition fees); after you get a notice from Studielink that you are fully enrolled you can request a signature.
Do not forget to fill in all the information about your study/internship as accurately as possible. You can do so using the app study/internship abroad in My Dashboard.
During exchange: in case of crisis
See our policy (International policy in case of crisis).