Academic research is increasingly becoming dependent on external funding. VU and VUmc offer their researchers professional and dedicated support and advice for the acquisition of external public funding. The Grants Desk VU/VUmc is one of the key research infrastructure facilities at VU and VUmc.
The Grants Desk VU/VUmc has up-to-date knowledge, expertise and capacity to attract appropriate funding for your research and write winning bids. The Grants Desk VU/VUmc provides advice on many national and international grant schemes and funds, tailored to the needs of each individual applicant. It supports and guides the entire application process and can help increase your chances of submitting a successful grant application.
One of the major focus points of the Grants Desk is to provide assistance on multi-partner, multidisciplinary research applications, especially those within the EU’s Research and Innovation programme Horizon 2020, but also large national grants such as NWO Gravity.
Support by the Grants Desk VU/VUmc includes, but is not limited to:
- project definition and scoping
- consortium composition
- strategic advice
- proposal writing and reviewing
The Grants Desk VU/VUmc provides support and advice on investment grants, such as NWO Groot and NWO Middelgroot.
Part of the Grants Desk VU/VUmc support consists of providing assistance to researchers taking part in the NWO grant programme Innovational Research Incentives Scheme (i.e. Veni, Vidi, Vici) and in ERC grants (i.e. ERC Starting, Consolidator, and Advanced grants).A guidance programme is available for researchers in this category, generally consisting of:
- information meetings
- workshops on writing a research proposal
- advisory sessions
- presentation training sessions
See the dedicated website for more details and course dates.
Post award services / Legal
Legal advisors within the Grants Desk VU/VUmc provide legal support on a.o. grant applications, agreements, and research contracts.
Post award services / Implementation
Multi-partner projects require a very strict approach to make sure that the grant is compliant to the jungle of rules and regulations, and the optimisation and structuring of grant support.
The Grants Desk VU/VUmc advises and supports grant holders during the execution phase of the project, by e.g. facilitating a knowledge network for project managers, publishing a handbook for EU projects, and providing specific advice.
The Grants Desk VU/VUmc also provides strategic advice to strengthen and effectuate the acquisition strength of a group, department or faculty. In addition, the Grants Desk operates in close cooperation with the Innovation Exchange Amsterdam (IXA).
Meet the experts
The Grants Desk is located in the Faculty of Medicine's Building. VU and VUmc researchers are always welcome to come by, or make an appointment for a tailored advice session.
- dr. Pim de Boer - Senior grant adviser Acting head of the Grants Desk VU/VUmc; Liaison officer for VUmc
Consortium grants (Main focus area in italics)
- Linde van Ittersum, MA - Grant adviser - VU Social Sciences
- dr. Brenda Olivier - Grant adviser - VUmc (AGM, ARD, AMS, ACS, AI&I)
- dr. Neeltje Peters - Grant adviser - VUmc (ANS, APH)
- dr. Joyce Putters - Grant adviser - Dedicated CCA adviser
- dr. Karin Rade - Grant adviser - VU Social Sciences & Faculty of Science
- dr. Maartje de Snoo - Grant adviser - VU Faculty of Science
Personal grants - Support programme
- Marco Last, MA - Grant adviser Alpha, Gamma
- dr. Bart Jordi - Grant adviser Beta, Life sciences
Post award services
- dr. Edwin Kanters - Implementation officer
- Guido Leerdam, MA - EU adviser Legal Entity Appointed Representative (LEAR), Liaison officer for VU
- Jeroen van Leur, LL.M. - Legal adviser
- Gaby Minasian, LL.M. - Legal adviser
Building Faculty of Medicine, rooms C-068, C-070 and C-072 (New location since September '18)
Van der Boechorststraat 7-9
1081 BT Amsterdam
VU Medical Center
Bureau Divisie VI
1007 MB Amsterdam
Phone: +31 (0) 20 444 9923