The Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research is the most important provider of finance for research in the Netherlands and is subdivided into eight academic fields, namely:
• Aard- en levenswetenschappen (ALW)
• Chemische wetenschappen (CW)
• Exacte wetenschappen (EW)
• Geesteswetenschappen (GW)
• Maatschappij- en gedragswetenschappen (MaGW)
• Technische Wetenschappen (STW)
• Medische Wetenschappen (ZonMw)
• Natuurkunde (FOM)
The fields of STW, ZonMw and FOM have their own grant programmes.
NWO has a wide range of grant types. The most important programmes are:
Free competitions for the eight academic fields; programmes (as part of the NWO themes, for example); individual-based grants, such as Innovational Research Incentives Scheme, Rubicon and Mosaic; grants for collaborations, travelling and accommodation expenses or the organizing conferences; grants for investments in equipment or access to large research facilities.
Extensive and up-to-date information on NWO grants can be found on the NWO grants guide.
VU University Amsterdam has a guidance programme for the Innovational Research Incentives Scheme and Mosaic grants.