I am a VU Amsterdam student
VU Amsterdam students find more information about registering for a secondary course or a minor on VUnet.
I am not a VU Amsterdam student
If you wish to enrol as a secondary course student or to follow a minor at VU Amsterdam, then you must apply in VUnet. When doing so, you should not enrol for a complete study programme (for which you would need to apply via Studielink), but only for one or more courses at VU Amsterdam.
- You'll need a statement from your own institution of higher education allowing you to follow courses at VU. Please request this document at the examination board.
- Please check the admission requirements of the minor or course you wish to apply for.
- Go to register.vu.nl and select Registration for secondary subjects. Select the study programme of the minor of your choice and the correct academic year. The register terms, before which you need to register in the courses you want to follow, can be found in this document.
- Insert your personal details. After this you will receive your login details for VUnet through email.
- Log in on VUnet and select the application Complete application. If you can't find this application on your VUnet-homepage, please try a different browser. Still not visible? Then please use this direct link: VUnet Complete Application.
- Fill out all requested information for the correct study programme and upload all requested documents.
- Your request will be sent to the faculty after completing all steps.
- The faculty grants permission to be enrolled as a secondary course or minor student.
- Hand in a valid Proof of Payment Tuition Fee (BBC) at the Student Desk (please write down your student number on the document). You can request a BBC at the student administration of your institution. You can apply for this document at your institution after you have given direct debit authorisation for the tuition fee or after having paid the full tuition fee.
- Check whether you receive a confirmation through email. There can be more students interested than places available. Please note that your registration request will only be processed after all the documents are received and after approval is given by the faculty.
- When you are officially enrolled, you need to register for the courses you want to follow. You can do so through the application Course registration on your VUnet homepage. Please take into consideration the information which can be found on VUnet: Registration. The register terms, before which you need to register in the courses you want to follow, can be found in this document. Information about when you're too late to register can be found on Registration after the deadline.
Contact the Student Desk if you have any questions.
UvA students at FNWI
If you are an UvA student at the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Mathemathics and Informatics (FNWI) and are taking courses at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (Faculty of Science) within the context of the joint programmes, then you will be automatically enrolled at Vrije Universiteit as a secondary course student after your enrolment at UvA is complete (this also applies to VU students, the other way around). Your enrolment must be completed on 31 August. If this is not the case, then you must arrange being enrolled as a secondary course student yourself.