Your first days and weeks in Amsterdam will be filled with new experiences, new people and a few practical considerations too. We have compiled the following information to help you:
- Introduction activities: Activities during the introduction week.
- Registering with the municipality: It is important that you register your address with the municipality. You will need to bring certain documents with you.
- Opening a bank account: It is important that you open a Dutch bank account. Find out what you need to do and the documents you need here.
- Insurance: You must be adequately insured during your stay in the Netherlands.
- TB test: A tuberculosis (TB) test may be part of your application for a residence permit. If so, please visit the Municipality Health Services (GGD).
- Cost of living and working while studying: Living in Amsterdam can be expensive. Make sure that you have sufficient financial means to cover the costs of living. If you are considering working while studying then there are certain rules to be followed.
- Cycling and public transport: Amsterdam is a city of bikes. The city is also served by an excellent public transport network.
During your stay you will have access to VUnet, the internal network of VU University. You will be sent login details during the process of preparing for your arrival. It is important that you familiarize yourself with VUnet, as a great deal of important information is only available via this network.