Research has shown that a person’s hand movements while talking can be the result of many different motivations, namely the individual’s thinking and speaking processes, the culture(s) the speaker is part of, and the local context of communication.
How can you analyse a speaker’s hand movements in video recordings?
This online course will provide a set of research skills for such analysis, which feeds into the study of language, communication, and interaction.
- Course days: 11-17 January 2023
- Attendance: online
- Course level: open to Master students, PhD candidates, and professionals from all disciplines
- Course curriculum: read more about the course curriculum
- Coordinating lecturer: Prof. Alan Cienki
- Forms of tuition: online lectures, data analysis sessions, assignments.
- Forms of assessment: small-scale analysis of video materials with a written report.
- Credits: 3 ECTS
- Contact hours: 20 hours
- Tuition fee: read more about our fees, discounts and scholarships
*If you choose to apply as an auditor participant, you will have access to all the lectures and workshops of your winter course for a discounted price (-€100). You will, however, not participate in the final assignment and will therefore not receive a transcript of records or study credits after completing the course.