If you are about to finish your PhD at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you are required to make a digital version of your PhD thesis available to the university. You do this through Hora Finita. The University Library will then publish your digital PhD thesis online in the VU Research Portal (Pure). Your PhD thesis will also automatically be placed in NARCIS.
Upload your thesis in Hora Finita six weeks before the date of your PhD ceremony
- Upload your full PhD thesis six weeks before the date of your PhD ceremony via the PhD student tracking system Hora Finita.
- Please note: you can only place your PhD thesis in Hora Finita after the title page has been approved by the Office of the Beadle.
- Upload all requested documents: cover, table of contents, and the English (and sometimes Dutch) summary(s).
- Please state if there is an embargo on your thesis.
Anonymised version of PhD thesis
Does your PhD thesis contain privacy-sensitive or personally identifiable information? If so, you can upload an anonymised digital version. The University Library will then publish this anonymised version online.
Is there an embargo on your PhD thesis?
State in Hora Finita what is applicable to your PhD thesis.
- No embargo. You own the intellectual property rights and/or the copyright to the full PhD thesis, or you (partly) do not own the intellectual property rights and/or the copyright, but you have full permission from the holder to grant a licence for this material to Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam;
- Provisional embargo. Your full PhD thesis or some of its chapters will shortly be offered for publication. In anticipation of acceptance a provisional embargo may be placed on the full PhD thesis of no more than 18 months. When this period expires, the embargo may be extended for another 18 months, but you have to give a reason for this. The University Library will assess whether this reason is valid and only in that case will it approve an extension. This will be done in consultation with the director of the Graduate School, the portfolio holder for teaching or the dean (in this order). The embargo will apply to the entire PhD thesis, even if the embargo concerns one or more chapters.
- Permanent embargo. Only in the event that anonymisation is not possible or in the case of a patent does your PhD thesis qualify for a permanent embargo. You must request permission for this from the director of the Graduate School, the portfolio holder for teaching or the dean, in this order.
- For questions about the embargo policy or publishing your thesis, please contact email@example.com
Any problems uploading your thesis?
- Contact the faculty's key user.
When will your thesis be available online in the VU Research Portal?
- The non-embargoed files are automatically published in the VU Research Portal and in Narcis at least four weeks before the date of your PhD ceremony.
- We always publish the cover, the title page, the table of contents and the Dutch and English summary at least four weeks before the date of your PhD ceremony.
Can I change the embargo after uploading?
Is there something you still want to change? Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I still change mistakes in the title or name after uploading?
You will not be able to make any changes yourself after uploading. Please contact email@example.com to discuss the options.