The Vrije Universiteit believes that government-funded research should be available free of charge to as many people as possible. In order to stimulate Open Access publishing via the Golden Route, the VU has concluded OA agreements ('OA deals') with a large number of publishers. The University Library can also help you to automatically make all your publications accessible in the VU Research Portal: You share, we take care!
You can publish Open Access via the Golden, Hybrid or Green Route. Consult the VU Journal Publishing Guide if you want to publish OA.
Always check the Open Access Tips and Checklist and the information about Predatory Journals before you submit your article.
Overview VU Open Access deals with publishers
When a VU Open Access deal (APC discount) is applicable, you can publish OA in that particular journal free of charge (100% APC discount) or at a discount (for example at a 15% APC discount).
> Overview VU / VUmc OA agreements with publishers
The VU Journal Publishing Guide
Consult the VU Journal Publishing Guide if you want to publish OA. The guide shows you:
- the most important journals in your field plus their impact & metrics
- whether OA publishing is possible in the journal
- whether the VU has an OA deal with the journal (an APC discount or waiver)
Publishing Green Open Access via the VU Research Portal (PURE)
Dutch law gives every author the right to share scientific articles in the publisher's version six months after the first (non-Open Access) publication date. The University Library can support all VU researchers who want to automatically make their publications accessible in the VU Research Portal. Read all about it on the You share, we take care! project page.
Publishing Open Access is easy:
1. Check in the VU Journal Publishing Guide if the journal of your choice allows Open Access publishing / if there is an OA-deal
2. Submit your article
3. Indicate when submitting that you wish to publish Open Access
4. Sign up for You share, we take care! and the University Library will place your article in the VU Research Portal.