The application process is highly competitive. Therefore, SBE invests in selected candidates that provide a good fit with our expertise and interest and supports them in drafting a competitive research proposal and in applying for the fellowship at the EC. When awarded, funds may be granted to postdoctoral researchers who aim to enhance their career development by an intensive research period abroad (12-36 months) covering salary, some travel and other research expenses. Read more.
Who can apply
Candidates must be in possession of a doctoral degree on 12 October 2021.
Two types of individual fellowships exist:
European Fellowships (EF)
- Open to promising researchers either coming to Europe or moving within Europe.
- Duration fellowship 12-24 months, based at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- Can help to restart research careers after a break such as parental leave.
- Can also help reintegrate researchers coming back to Europe.
- The researcher much not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in The Netherlands for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the call deadline.
Global Fellowships (GF)
- For researchers currently based in the EU or associated countries.
- Initial outgoing phase of 12-24 months outside Europe (e.g. US, Australia, Japan)
- A mandatory 12-months return period at VU.
- Total fellowship duration is 24-36 months
- The researcher must not have resided or carried out the main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the partner organisation where the initial outgoing phase takes place for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the call deadline
We invite talented researchers to submit a short research proposal (around 1,000 words) on one of the School's major research themes. Selected candidates will be supported in the further development of their project proposals towards the European Commission for the deadline of 12 October 2021.
Please provide us with the following documents for our selection committee:
- Research proposal (use template)
- A minimum of one respresentative research paper/working paper/job market paper
- Two reference letters, sent directly by your references to our mail address
- We offer a selection of talented applicants, working on one of our major research themes, the opportunity to develop their proposal in collaboration with one of our experts in the field.
|1. Call opens||22 June 2021|
|2. Mail your documents to VU||22 July, 2021|
|3. Selection of candidates by VU and assigning supervisor||22 August 2021|
|4. Proposal development by fellow and supervisor||Aug-Oct, 2021|
|5. Submission deadline European Commission||12 October 2021|
|6. Results review panels European Commission||February, 2022|
|7. Start fellowship||April 2022 - April 2023|