A variety of scholarship programmes exist for international Master’s students. Here you will find a list of the ones most commonly awarded to our students:
Scholarships offered by Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- VU Fellowship Programme (VUFP)
The VU Fellowship Programme (VUFP) offers motivated and talented prospective students with excellent study results the unique opportunity to pursue a Master’s programmes at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam with a tuition fee covering scholarship.
- Holland Scholarship Programme (HSP)
The Holland Scholarship Programe (HSP) offers talented and unique prospective students the opportunity to pursue a degree in a Master’s programmes at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- Orange Tulip Scholarship (OTS) (offered in co-operation with NUFFIC-NESO)
A scholarship for excellent students from Brazil, China and Indonesia. The scholarship is highly selective, offering two scholarships for the year 2015-2016.
- Fulbright scholarship (for US students only - offered in co-operation with Fulbright)
For highly motivated students from the United States with excellent study results.
Other scholarship options
- STUNED Scholarship Programme
The STUNED Scholarship Programme is open for professionals from Indonesia who have completed a Bachelor's programme (S1). It is aimed in particular at teacher-educators, government officials (central and regional), NGO employees and journalists. The programme gives priority to candidates from outside Java and takes account of gender equality. However, strongly motivated candidates from all other sectors including the private sector are encouraged to apply. PhD students are not eligible for grants under this programme.
- Indonesia Endowment Fund of Education (LPDP)
Funding for Indonesian students who wish to pursue a master-, or PhD degree through the LPDP programme (Indonesia Endowment Fund of Education).
- Netherlands Fellowship Programme (NFP) (offered by NUFFIC)
Grants intended to enable people who are currently employed in developing countries to obtain a Master's or PhD degree in the Netherlands.
Student Loan Programmes
- Direct Loan Programme (US students)
The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program of the U.S. Department of Education (ED) offers federal student loans for eligible students from the U.S. to help cover the cost of higher education. Eligible students borrow directly from the ED at participating schools.
- SallieMae Smart Option Loan
SallieMae is a loan provider in the US, who offers private loans to US students to cover their costs for their study period abroad. Only students with the American nationality will be eligible for this type of loan. The loan is meant to finance your stay at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and could cover your tuition fee, room and board, etc.
Scholarship search tips
- The Netherlands Student Grantfinder website is a search engine for students who want to study in the Netherlands and are looking for sources of funding for their studies. Grantfinder is easy to use and contains information on a range of Dutch scholarships for foreign students.
- The Study in Holland website also contains information on grant possibilities.
- Scholarships to obtain a PhD degree.